Thursday, February 6, 2014

What to Expect When We're Expecting :)

Well, there's not really a book to go with this! Even though I don't show it...I feel like I've been pregnant 18 months and about to have a 23 pounder! We have a lot of questions coming our way from everyone. So I thought I'd try to answer some of them the best way I know how right now (by faking it! j/k ha ha!). We don't have dates in concrete yet for travel to China but it looks like early March. We are waiting for final appointment date from the China Consulate which happens one or two days before we travel back to the US. In trying to answer some questions...a lot of you think we are going to one city in China. Actually we will be moving to 3 different cities for sure. We will arrive in Beijing for a few days. Then we travel to Xinyang City to get Lily on day 5. She is in an orphanage there. We are there for a few days and then traveling to Guangzhou. As you know...China is rather large...so these cities are spread out. I think we fly to each of them (or train?). There are several appointments in our time there. There is a medical visit, passport visit, interviews on why we want to adopt her...and it's a process to get her Visa to come home. Day 5 is the day I dream about. IT is called "GOTCHA DAY." I have a fantasy in my head on how she will react when we finally meet her. But I can't write it. I'm sure you get the idea. We have read several scenarios on how adoptees might react. One is the "ideal" scenario...and the others...not so much. This is to prepare us. One of my worst fears is if she "shuts down" on us. That would break my heart...but worse is the feeling that we are breaking her heart. We will be taking her from everything she knows and the caretakers that she loves to a really beautiful life. But she won't understand that for awhile. And we certainly won't understand her & her Chinese words. I continually pray that deep down...God planted the "seed" of us in her heart. I pray that she has seen our pictures over and over and that her caretakers have helped her understand who we are. I pray that she will recognize us as her "ma ma" and "baba" (daddy). We have loved her from day 1 which was the day we officially decided to adopt. But her Day 1 starts with "Gotcha Day." Please pray for all of us. The boys will keep with their routine at home with an army of family and friends helping us and "manning" the household. We are so blessed with everyone stepping forward to help out. I know that they will be loved on immensely. We will Skype hopefully daily with them. Many have asked what they can get as a gift for Lily...what does she need? Good question and that is so thoughtful! Honestly, I have not thought enough on it. A few people have mentioned that we should register for those needs. That feels kinda odd b/c it is our 3rd child but I do understand why too (being a girl) and just not knowing what to get her or what we have and don't have. We did get rid of most all of our baby gear because we did not really offically plan for this. At this time...we do not have much girl clothing (or even undies, socks, shoes...etc). I am leaning toward registering for items such as stroller, sleeping monitor...etc ( we have none of these). So stay tuned. I will let you know for sure. I also will let you all know about donating new or lightly used baby/toddler clothing and blankets to the orphanage. I plan to take an extra suitcase full of these items to donate to Lily's orphanage. They are in need. I really want to to see where she has lived all of her life. I hope they let me in. My heart bleeds for those babies that still need a mother & father. Please pray for them...and good families to adopt them. In case you are interested in where Lily comes from...here is a brief overview: Xinyang is located in the south of Henan Province, next to Hubei Province. It is one of the locations from which Chinese civilization originates and has a long history of 8,000 years. Xinyang city has a beautiful landscape and natural tourism resources. Maojian, the city’s famous tea, is produced here. You can google a map of Xinyang. Climate; Weather: Xinyang is located in the south of the Qinling Mountains, the transitional area between subtropical and warm-temperate zones. The weather is moderate and has four distinctive seasons. The yearly average temperature is mid 50's F. Language in Xinyang: The dialect of Xinyang is a branch of the northern dialect family, but is also deeply influenced by the southern dialects, due to its location connecting Henan and Hubei province God Bless. xoxo

1 comment:

  1. She is darling and God truly blessed you all. Lily has such a wonderful life ahead of her. You will all be in my prayers. Be safe travelling.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete