Wednesday, February 19, 2014

From the Mouths of Babes

Many of you have asked how are boys are handling the adoption and what do they think about it.  Well, it's been fun hearing what comes out of their mouths!  The boys have been talking about Lily for well over a year now.  They pray for her every night on their own.  They pray for the adoption process and for her health and safety.  We talk about how she won't understand us and that we will need to use some sign language.  Noah asks, "will she cry in OUR language?"  And of course I answered, "oh yes...that is a language we ALL understand.";)

Jake has a heart of gold.  This kid wants to take care of everyone including me.  He has taken over the "man of the house" role when Daddy is traveling.  As soon as he gets home from school, he picks up a shovel and starts shoveling the driveway and sidewalks.  He takes out the trash without me even asking (or the trash being full).   He takes pride in his work...just like Daddy. So there is no doubt that he can not wait to take care of his little sister.  He has loved her from the beginning of this journey.  I was a little concerned with whether Noah would like his little sister or not.  In the beginning I would ask him if he was excited to get a little sister and he would reply with a simple "no."  But over time, his heart opened up to Lily.  And just last weekend he asked us (in his language using w sound instead of L), "how wong will it take to bring Wilwee (Lily) home?"  We answered... then asked him, "why? is that too long?"  He replied  "no...besides, I realwee (really) wuv Wilwee (Lily)."

Some deep questions have risen with the topic of adoption from our kids.  The other day as I was driving, Noah and I were sitting in silence with our own thoughts.  All of a sudden, Noah pipes up with a question.  "Momma, what happens to those people that don't have their baby anymore?"  After clarifying with him that he was talking about the biological parents of the adoptees, I relieved his concern.  I explained to him that nothing happens TO them.  They continue to love that baby from a distance.  But it was out of unsurmountable tremendous love that those parents gave their baby to someone that could love them just as much but also provide them a better life that they could not get otherwise.  I think about all those biological parents...and Lily's.  I pray that God's peace pours into them and covers them like a warm blanket.  A warm blanket that protects them from any guilt, shame or condemnation.  I can not imagine and I'm sure I can not adequately describe in words what their sacrifice felt like...but it was within the realm of a sacrifice IN love.  I realize that there are some stories that don't match the above...but that is not for me to judge.  Either way...without them, adopting parents & families would not have the incredible gift of children & the Divine love that comes with it.

Lily was left in a waiting room of a train station.  To leave her there means her parents wanted her to be found.  They wanted her to have a chance for a better life.  I believe that and I choose to believe the best in people.  And it just so happens that the blog just before this one (called "Confirmation!") has a picture of a bunny & a sign I made before we even knew Lily OR her story...which reads,  "Waiting for you."  She was waiting in a train station waiting room...and we were waiting for her to be found.  Another confirmation of God's plan.  She was meant for our family (AND she likes to travel ;)

The best way I can describe the love that Dale & I have for our children came out of our child's mouth.  Our bedtime ritual consists of a book, prayer and telling them how much we love them.  As I told both Jake and Noah that I love them "all the way to the moon and around the moon a zillion times and back", I was trumped by Noah telling me, "Momma, I love you all the way to God & Jesus."
We certainly learn from our children and learn from our mistakes in parenting but the greatest we receive from our children is their faith & love.  We lead by example...but if I'm not open-minded and open-hearted to what God has to teach me (even through our children)...then what am I doing here?
1Cor 13:13 "And now these three remain:  faith, hope and love.  But the greatest of these is love."



4 comments:

  1. Hey! Allie, again! I was loving that you had a "waiting for you" sign as well! Love reading your blog and hearing your story unfold! God is so good and I just love how he can teach us so many new things through the journeys he takes us on if we are willing to take them!
    I was just wondering when you were matched and how long it has taken you to get to the traveling point? What part of the country do you live in? We are in WA state! We are hoping to travel before our little guy turns 2. Jett's birthday is the 16th of September, hopefully we will be traveling by then! Seems like such a long wait! Looking forward to following your journey to China. If you get to visit the orphanage and see our little guy (Wu Hao Jun) give him a squeeze for me and tell him his mamma is coming soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Allie! Sorry for delay! Its been nuts here lately! I'd love to touch base with you before we leave. Lots to say and certainly want to answer your questions. I spoke with Hannah from travel dept at CCAI on Friday and told her how we connected. If you are not opposed...do you want to call her and get my email and cell? She can give it to you. I just don't like to post personal info and certainly want to be respectful of your privacy too. LMK I'd like to talk or email by This Tues. for sure:) And to answer..it took 4 1/2 months from match to travel. Hope to talk to ya!

      Delete
  2. Good luck Nancy and Dale! Lots of love and prayers coming your way from the Illinois Valley. We can't wait to meet Lily....and I can't wait to get you hooked on hair bows and Matilda Jane clothing ;-) Keep us updated as much as you can and we will see you towards the end of the month!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madonna! Can't wait to get Lily in couple days and bring her home!!!! She's got to meet all her cousins soon ! :)) And yes, I'm sure I'll be addicted to bows and MJ clothing for sure! xoxo

      Delete